a collection of daily paintings and drawings

Sunday, October 26, 2014

GOD GIVES US ALL A SWING, SO DON'T JUST SIT THERE





I had a dream last night that I sat on a swing and began swinging. The situation was: I was outside on my swing, and there were lots of people all sitting on swings all facing one direction as though we were going to watch a performance. After swinging for awhile, I noticed that everyone else was just sitting quietly in their swings. I was the only one swinging. So, I immediately tried to stop myself (remember how hard that is?) and tried to look like I had NOT been swinging, and had no idea how that had all started. I felt compelled to be a part of the un-swinging crowd, but I could not stop my momentum.
Now, knowing my dream is not about what swinging is a euphemism for, and considering I've always been a good girl, not a trouble maker, I analyzed this dream to be about my life spent doing what I am passionate about, despite how difficult it it is to find support for the arts in our society. I feel compelled to be someone I am not (a sales person, a techie, a schmoozer) in order to show and sell my work.
But creating? It is a joy, a prayer, a dream, a ....gift of a swing.

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful dream! Swinging is great fun! I remember freedom, flying, touching the clouds. It takes work when you try to touch the sky, otherwise the motion slows to an eventual stop. I get it, and I am so grateful you keep swinging! I love your art. It's full of joy, color and talent. It blesses me, as I'm sure it does many others. Thank you for sharing your dream. A word picture I need to apply to what I do. Time to push, and reach for the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kelly. It is so nice to have a phrase or illustration that encourages us to keep at it. Another one I like: "God throws you a gift. It's your job to catch it".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:58 PM

    I hope you can go back into your dream, and swing awayyyyyy. It could be the inspiration the others need to take the risk, and try....to fly....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all need a little dream inspiration in our lives!

    ReplyDelete